Pizzas cooked by Oakman Inns and Signature Pubs have been selected for the final of this year’s National Pizza Awards.
A further 14 chefs from businesses such as Gusto Italian, Wandercrust Pizza and Foundry Project Manchester will join the two pub companies and compete in a live cook-off next month (full list of finalists below).
Returning to Islington Metal Works, London, on 7 November, the National Pizza Awards final will see chefs recreate the pizza that they entered the competition with, looking to win the National Pizza of the Year title and the £1,000 prize that comes with it.
Rather excitingly, the 2019 final sees last year’s winner return to defend their crown. Parmigiana Party, created by Filippo Rosato of Brighton and London-based restaurant Purezza, featured smoked vegan mozzarella, fried aubergine, crumbled soya sausage, basil and nutritional yeast – it was the first vegan pizza to win the National Pizza Awards.
This year’s 16 chefs will also take part in a Technical Round that will see them create a pizza using ingredients supplied by the event’s sponsors.
“As always, we saw a large amount of entries submitted for the National Pizza Awards, proving that the UK’s appetite for this classic dish is still absolutely massive,” says Tristan O’Hana, editorial director of Casual Dining Magazine, which runs the event. “One thing’s for sure, choosing a winner from this sumptuous selection of pizzas is not going to be easy.”
The National Pizza Awards 2019 is sponsored by TABASCO, Budweiser Brewing Group, Linda Lewis Kitchens and Pan’Artisan.
The 2019 National Pizza Awards finalists
• Crust Bros, London – The Full Bro
• Wandercrust Pizza, London – American Psycho
• Dough Pizzeria Ltd, Edinburgh – Lombardoveneto
• Rudy’s, Manchester – Pizza Battipaglia
• Bath Pizza Co, Bath – Zucchine Sole
• Cold Town House, Edinburgh – Leith Pizza
• Purezza, Brighton – Here Comes Truffle
• Pizza Repubblica, Leeds – Star Repubblica
• Gusto Italian, Knutsford – The Fico
• Foundry Project Manchester – Spicy Chicken and Chorizo
• Elliott’s Craft Pizza & Grill, Halifax – NYC Classico
• Zerodegrees, Bristol – Parmigiana
• Oakman Inns & Restaurants, Tring – Napoli Forte
• Ciliegino, Cardiff – Margherita Dop
• Saint, London – Calabria
• Pizzaface, Brighton – Jakub