Licensed Trade Charity offers industry housing support

Licensed Trade Charity offers industry housing support

The Licensed Trade Charity has reminded pub companies about the ways it can ease the pressure on its staff amid continued concerns over the lack of affordable housing in Britain.

This, along with a ‘worrying outlook in the rental sector’ is why the Licensed Trade Charity wants to help boost staff retention in the pub industry, offering free support enabling employees to either stay in their accommodation, or protect and advise on their rights as a tenant.

“Our exclusive offering for pub and bar people gives anyone with housing issues help and support,” comments Licensed Trade Charity’s head of charity services Carolyn Jackson.

“We can often assist with grants for rent arrears, rents and deposits to get them started in a new home, and for things such as boiler repairs, white goods and furnishings.

“Just as important can be sharing our expertise on tenants’ rights, including repairs, landlord responsibilities and what to do at the end of a let.

“Our help is relevant to people of all ages with housing issues across the drinks trade.

“No other charity has access to the same range of assistance that we have created through our relationships with Shelter and Anchor”.

One in six landlords (16%) said they had had to take steps to remove a tenant once or more in the last three years, and in nearly 50% of cases this was due to rent arrears of more than two months.

Through the Licensed Trade Charity’s free helpline, which is open 24/7, it is able to help people through such traumatic experiences, with grants (subject to eligibility) to cover rent arrears and offering legal advice on tenants’ rights.

In addition, the charity’s relationship with Shelter means those who call the helpline can also access additional assistance on challenging the threat of eviction and getting repairs actioned, and those aged 55 and over who contact the Licensed Trade Charity in need of housing help can also be boosted up the waiting list of Anchor, England’s largest not-for-profit housing association.

Pub and bar people can call on the Licensed Trade Charity’s assistance for free on its helpline – 0808 801 0550 – or website